Translate

Thursday, June 27, 2013

OH MY! SOUTHERN SAWDUST PIE!

Recently I had the privilege of visiting a charming little village in Kentucky called Grand Rivers.  It's right in the middle of a water-recreational-playground called Land Between the Lakes.  In the center of the village is a wonderful and well-known restaurant called Patti's 1800's Settlement.  Patti's is famous for their delicious 2" thick pork chop (and I can personally attest to the fact that it is mouth-watering G-O-O-D)!

However, pork chops are not all Patti's is famous for.  Their desserts are incredible!  They have graciously published one of their recipes, an old southern favorite called "Sawdust Pie", in their brochure.

This recipe, featuring ingredients like pecans, toasted coconut, and graham cracker crumbs;  served warm with sliced bananas and whipped cream, is a treat for your taste buds!  And did I mention how easy it is to make?  You simply mix all the ingredients together, pour into a pie crust and bake.  I usually bake mine during dinner, so that by the time we are ready for dessert, it's still warm and ready to enjoy!

Below is the recipe as printed in Patti's brochure:

7 egg whites, unbeaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups pecans
1 1/2 cups coconut
Mix all ingredients together and stir by hand.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake in preheated 325 degree oven until glossy and set (about 25-30 minutes).
DO NOT OVER BAKE!  Serve warm with sliced bananas and whipped cream.  Serves 8

Although I was born in the south and now live in the south. . .I was raised in Southern California, so many of the recipes that have been around this area for generations, are brand new to me.  My southern friends often roll their eyes as I extol the virtues of my "new" culinary discoveries (as if to say, "Here she goes again!")

I hope you will try making Patti's Sawdust Pie.  You too, will be singing it's praises!  Better yet, if you're in the area, make a point of planning a visit to Patti's 1800's Settlement to enjoy a slice there.  Just tell them ~Norma Jean~ sent you!

Thanks for stopping by!                              

No comments:

Post a Comment